27th January 2012
1. The assembly started with some children relating briefly what happened during Holocaust. During this presentation a big six pointed star full of yellow crocus flowers was shown. All the students from K1 to Yr.6 stuck a yellow holocaust flower on the star during the week. This presentation ended with a movement song/hymn re God’s love for all.
2. Two old people from Kirkop were invited to relate their experiences during war in Malta and what they knew about the holocaust.
3. A short powerpoint presentation followed. At this point some students read two 2 poems: The Crayon Box that talked; What a Dull World it would be without Colours. These poems were meant to explain that diversity is positive; and to promote tolerance and acceptance.
4. After the poems, two students read a verse from the bible:
“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35
5. We concluded with a clip of the song ‘We are the World’. Lyrics were written so the children sang too.
6. A black and white bookmark was given to all the students as a memento to colour and keep.
Activities done during the week:
Yr. 2 and Yr. 3 pupils drew and coloured some crocus flowers and plants.
The PSD Teacher carried out lessons about Holocaust and other genocides highliting the need to stand up to hatred and speak up and speak out.